The North Otago Rugby Football Union was formed in 1927.

During the 1930 season, North Otago played the All Blacks, losing 6-34. In that same season the side narrowly lost to Canterbury 18-29.

The early 1940's were interrupted by war and representative rugby was suspended until 1946. That year also saw the first Hanan Shield fixture with a 6-9 loss against South Canterbury.

In 1947 the province had two unsuccessful Ranfurly Shield challenges.

Whilst the 1950's were pretty unspectacular years.

1962 saw the province record a fantastic win over Australia 14-13 and another win against Southland 19-8 but then a narrow loss to Otago 14-11. 

In 1965 North Otago produced some magic rugby to beat Otago 18-11.

The highlight of the 1971 season was the selection of Kurow's Phil Gard for the All Blacks' fourth test against the Lions at Eden Park.

1975 marked the beginning of the NPC Competition.

The 1980's were unsuccesful years and the representative side won very few games.

The highlight of the early 1990's was a Ranfurly Shield challenge in 1993 when Auckland brought the trophy on tour. The crowd went delirious after 5 minutes when Brent McEwan scored a try from a set move to give North Otago a 5-0 lead. However, the talent of Auckland then shone through and they scored 139 unanswered points. John Kirwan scored eight tries.

In 1995, current player, Mike Mavor began his career for North Otago.

1997 season proved to be a fairytale effort with the team having its best season yet in NPC rugby. The side finished as top qualifier, won its home semi final and went down to Marlborough in the final. The North Otago faithful came out in their droves and the final attracted in excess of 6000 supporters.

1998 saw North Otago lose only two of its nine games. North Otago was now winning more games in a season than it used to win in a decade. A lot of the credit for the massive resurgence in North Otago rugby during this period must go to the outstanding coaches, Greg Shipton and Peter Cook.

In 2000, Glenn Moore took over the reigns with Paddy Stewart. Moore, a former Mid Canterbury representative, had instant success with the side and only narrowly lost the final against East Coast 21-25.

2001 looked like North Otago's season, winning all of its seven games. However in the final it was a disappointing four point loss to South Canterbury 16-20.

2002 saw the North Otago Rugby Union celebrate its 75th jubilee and it indeed appropriate that in the 75th year of its existence the side should take the third division title beating Horowhenua 43-19 before an ecstatic crowd.

2003 and the challenges of Division Two was very much a daunting task. However, the team responded magnificently and finished in the top four but lost the semi final to Hawke's Bay in Napier in controversial circumstances. The highlight of the season was a superb win against Counties-Manukau.

2004 saw North Otago once again playing above its weight making the semi finals before going down to Nelson Bays.A lot of the credit for the massive resurgence in North Otago rugby during this period must go to the outstanding coaches, Greg Shipton and Peter Cook.

Recognition of their continued success was reflected in the selection of winger Scott Mayhew and lock, Campbell Mackenzie in the New Zealand Divisional XV. Halfback, Ryan McCarthy was denied a place in the team because of an injury received in the final trial. The Divisional side was coached for the second, consecutive season by Glenn Moore.